Sunday, November 23, 2008

Picture Tag

I'm Horrible at actually doing tags, but this one was easy and quick so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Barb tagged me...you take the 6th photo from the 6th photo file in your computer, post it and write about it.
This is a picture of my little buddies Danny & Israel. Chad and I went back to Guatemala in May of 2006 for a few weeks to visit all of the people I grew to love while I taught English there in College(2003). We tried to make it a sort of humanitarian trip and our Ward & Friends were kind enough to help us round up old missionary suits , shoes, and church clothing for kids and young men. (Many of the young men there go on missions without suit cases, suits, or decent shoes) We had three large suit cases filled! When we got there we found my old Guatemalan Bishop and asked him which young men were preparing for missions that year and they all came over and we fit them in the suits...Then we dispersed the other church clothing to those who needed it most in the ward I use to live in. IT WAS SO AWESOME!!! They were incredibly Grateful....I could go on FOREVER about the experience in detail.
Danny(on the left) was only 2 or 3 when I lived there and he use to pretend to be a little Mono (Monkey) to make me laugh, (He'd scratch under his arms and go "ooo eee aaa aaaa" like a monkey) so when I went back to visit, I brought him the toy monkey that is hanging around his neck. He wore it and protected it from the other kids the whole time we were there. Israel (in the blue) and Danny are Brothers. When we lived there, Some of the other Volunteers and I each invited a kid from our little Village (Patzicia) and took them to Guate City to a Movie and Pizza. Israel was one of those kids that came along with us and none of them had ever been to a movie or out to eat or to the city....You can imagine how funny it was to see there faces when they saw the escalator at the big shopping mall where the theater was, and to see their faces light up at the movie screen! I felt like Daddy Warbucks taking Annie out to the movies. Anywho...(like I said, I could go on forever) ...Living there and getting to know and Love those people is probably one of the best things I have ever done and I cherish all my memories. If it was safe or reasonable to do so...I'd move my family there for 5 years and build an Orphanage or something.
These two kids are near and dear to my heart so finding this picture of them in their new church clothes made my day!
I know this picture will make Kayla & Korbi & Micah Smile

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thanks for posting this Rachel. Brings back some really great memories. I can't believe how big those boys are getting!! Wow.

barbara beck said...

That was precious! In regards to my favs, I always have a hard time remembering on the spot so I just put down the things I have eaten recently:) Weren't you supposed to do that tag too?

Reid and Brittney said...

That is so awesome!! I had no idea you went to Guatemala to teach English. That would be such a great experience, I am glad you and Chad got to go back.

Ashley said...

That is awesome you guys were able to do that together. I was so excited to go back to Georgia where Kyle served.

Hall Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ricki said...

That is a great picture, and some fun memories! I always wanted to do something like that, but never got the chance! I guess that is what happens when you start having kids so young! I am sure you will always remember these kids fondly!

Westover Bunch said...

That is so awesome!!! We need to make it a goal to go to Guatemala someday!!

Korbi said...

I think I'm gonna cry... Thanks rachel

Korbi said...

who did Barb marry? Is that her comment "Barbara Beck?" I wonder if we're related??