Thursday, September 18, 2008

Why Do I Run?


The other day I was out running and a little girl yelled out to me from the safety of her doorstep..."Hey Lady, Your running in circles!"
How am I supposed to take that? Why did it discourage me? Well, I guess technically she's right. Most of the time I do run in a big circle. The streets in our neighborhood all form a kind of circle that I will run around over and over. But usually if your just running in circles your getting no where right? So I've been thinking a lot about it...Why do I run?
These definitely aren't the reasons why...

  • I Don't LOVE to run. Some people get all euphoric and "in the zone" while they are running...rarely happens for me
  • I'm slow
  • I Hate the sound of my feet slapping on the pavement.

Maybe this is why I run...

  • Sometimes it's the only 30 minutes I spend outside my house. When I go with friends, Sometimes it's the only 30 minutes of socializing I get in...Who doesn't need that?
  • I LOVE a good sweat!
  • When I know I'm going running that evening, I have no problem indulging in a nice mid-day bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup!


  • When I run, I'm a better Wife and Mom. I'm more patient and I have more energy.

So After weighing my options, I decided that I Like running. Still not a LOVE thing for me, But the benefits outweigh the bad stuff. So if all my neighbors think I'm literally and figuratively "Running in Circles"?...You can meet at my house at 9pm most nights and try it for yourself!

8 comments:

West's said...

Can I just say that I really like your blog?! As for running I should be out there running in circles with you! If you really don't care I'd love to come a few nights a week. Cute picutres on the horses and in the "tub". You guys always have something fun going on!

Anonymous said...

I have some of the same sentiments. I don't really like running either. But I do it every other day for some reason. I think that 9 out of 10 times I absolutely hate it and tell myself that I'll never do it again. But then there's that one time when I feel absolutely great, like I can run forever. And that makes the other nine times worth it.

Russ and Suz Adamson said...

Wish I could have been on the run with you to hear that. I would have chuckled. I will see you tonight!

Goodrich said...

I had a hard time running, because of the slapping of my own feet against the pavement- I bought a
mp3 player and it helped a ton- I am sure you are aware of that- it truly helped; however, at night I don't think I would use it- especially if I am out to socialize while exercising. KEEP IT UP!!

Em said...

You are a better woman then me. I wish I could make myself run, but I hate it! Maybe that's why you are all long and sexy and I am just not! lol. Good for you Rach.

Shanis said...

hi, rachel. how are you ? i am shanis!!! i found your blog. it's really cool. i saw my picture here and it makes me feel so excited. haha. i am now back to school in Malaysia. miss all of you so much. here are my email address shanis86@hotmail.com. have a great time. say hi to everyone.

Ricki said...

You run because we need to run with you! You can't stop because of some nosey little girl! I need you to be my running partner to keep my motivate! I am sorry I missed you last Thursday night! My kids were thinking they were in charge for the night and wouldn't go to sleep on time! I do want to run tomorrow night if you are up for it!

barbara beck said...

Rach look at you and your energy for life learning! Wish I could run with ya!