Thursday, September 18, 2008

Just what I need to read...EVERY day



"Author Anna Quindlen reminds us not to rush past the fleeting moments. She said: “The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less”(Loud and Clear [2004], 10–11).

Last night Chad and I took B to the track at the local High school. We laughed at him as he started in a squatting position and then raised up to a stand, over and over. It's not yet a walk, he hasn't even attempted to take a step alone. He's just standing, and we think it's awesome!

Nothing special to anyone but us, but to us those moments were priceless.

I need to take time to enjoy every stage. To stop rushing to the future.


12 comments:

Lacy said...

I love that quote! Such a good reminder, especially for me. Don't you just love those moments as a family together, such times of happiness with just the little things. The best times in life!

Amanda said...

Amen!

Goodrich said...

Ditto- Hilary Weeks wrote a song called "If I only had today" That is the story of my life, especially after what we have gone through; however, most the time I forget and continue my rushed life.

Hall Family said...

Your blogging some interesting blogs lately, who are you? I like it though. I just wanted to tell you thanks so much for watching my boys so i could do one of the most difficult things I've had to do in a really long time. Your the best besty!

Ricki said...

We need reminders like this every single day! I don't understand why one day I can say, "I am going to try harder to be better at that(whatever THAT is for the day), and then I don't even make an effort the next day! It is like it is trying to make an effort to do anything different or good gives me adult ADD!

barbara beck said...

One of the greatest quotes for a parent to read! I cant believe he is almost walking! That is a whole new life ahead for the both of you, enjoy it!

Unknown said...

That is the trial of my life. Right now I am trying so hard to focus on Avery and not worry about all the details of life. I only have a short time left to just play with her and enjoy her sweet energy. I am so happy to be a mother, seriously, life doesnt get better when you have enjoying family on the top of your to do list.

Hubers said...

Cute blog!!! :D Thanks for giving me your blog addres. I think I sent your invite but I can't remember if I got your email right so just let me know.. I really love that quote you put on- I had never heard it, but I really like it a lot!

Westover Bunch said...

Somedays I think I could have my own show, thats how crazy, yet comical my life is...but I will miss these times more than ever when they are gone!!

Cami said...

That is a great quote! I hope this blog will remind me of the moments I may forget in the future!

Em said...

I love that quote. Has been a favorite of my since the first time I heard it.

Misty said...

I remember when Tristan was just starting to stand - I can totally relate and I know it's probably an awesome feeling for you. I love all of the firsts and miss when they are never going to be firsts again. :)