Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Obsessed


I'm a little obsessed with two things right now....sewing and food storage.

I'm not even going to get into the sewing thing, But I do want to talk about food storage....why? Why me and why now? I can think of a LOT of things I'd LOVE to spend our tax returns on, (Like going to Florida to see Barb & baby Preston) but I've got food storage on the brain. I feel like a sponge just soaking up all the information I can get my hands on. And I want to know it all right now! I have so many Questions...Like how to sprout wheat... cook beans from dry form and make them taste good...and what would I do with a big container of honey(like the ones they sell at costco) once I opened it, just spoon out what I needed??


I know a lady, her name is Arlene. She was a seamstress at the Bridal Shop I work for. A few years ago she gave me a "food storage cook book" that she had written and sold through deseret book, and I took it and put it with my other cook books and never looked at it until I started thinking about food storage about 6 months ago. Well, I just read it and realized that Arlene is a mega food storage guru and I could ask her all my questions...so I called her and I've been using her for her talent ever since!


But I was thinking it would be cool to have her come to the clubhouse where we live and have a food storage Q & A night with anyone who was interested. We're all on different "food storage IQ levels" so we could ask her what we wanted to learn more about. I called her and she said she'd love to do it. She said she could demo some recipes. I want to learn different ways to cook wheat...the gluten stuff? I could pick her brain for weeks, she really knows her stuff.


If you are interested in setting something like this up, let me know and I'll schedule the clubhouse!


Suz told me about this website and I really like it. It's a "not so overwhelming" approach to food storage and it's got some recipes that i'd actually make!


11 comments:

raw mom said...

i'm there!! last year we were on a storgae high, too! it feels SO goods to get prepared! i have some stuff but i too dont have a clue how to use wheat...i dont even have a grinder! how am i gpoing to feed my fam:) so yeah! if she'll come, i'll be there! thanks!

Russ and Suz Adamson said...

I am also on such a food storage hunger kick. I am so hungry for knowledge that I feel like I am on the internet every day for a couple of hours to try to get it all sorted. It can be overwhelming and I would love for someone who knows what they are doing to show myself HOW to use it. So if you book her, let us know.

The McCulloughs said...

Well I am glad to know that if there is a disaster, then we can head over to your house instead of staying at our house eating our canned goods! You will be cooking up gourmet meals while others are eating ramen noodles! Good for you! I know nothing and would love to learn more!

Hubers said...

I so want to come!! We don't have a whole lot of food storage so I would love to get my questions answered.

Unknown said...

I can do wheat but that's about it. We don't eat the "normal" food storage things so I have been pondering on some things for myself. No need to plan around me but we will be out of town from Feb. 25th to March 4th. Either way it would be a good thing for whoever could attend.

Ricki said...

Ummmm.....how come we aren't talking about THIS while we run!!! You never told me you were a plethera of wheat knowledge!!!! I would love to know more!

Rachel Smith said...

Silly ricki...I'm not the pleathera of wheat knowledge..my friend Arlene is, but maybe some day...

Anonymous said...

You should look into quinoa. It's the best for food storage. Technically it's a nut, but it works like a grain. You can cook it and eat it kinda like rice. Or you can grind it to make flour-type stuff to bake with.

The main benefit of quinoa is that it has all the essential amino acids the body needs AND it's loaded with protein.

Check it out.

Kendra said...

I think we are all feeling this way. I would love to do that. That would be awesome. I also just sprouted wheat SO easy. and yummy. Let me know. Thanks

Veronica said...

sounds like a good idea!
oh and your friend is right about quinoa...it's actually pretty good and easy to cook with too! My family uses it in all kinds of things...

barbara beck said...

I would love to come to a Q & A, What time? :) Seriously share all your knowledge with me because in case you forgot I am in the middle of the ocean on the other side of the country and if the world ends Im in big trouble here.